Online Training Platform for Business has become an integral part in corporate bodies for the development of manpower. Learning is a continuous process that extends beyond an individual getting a job. Investing on e-learning methodologies is one of the avenues that companies use to empower their human resource for increased productivity. E-learning platforms are effective in imparting knowledge to employees on specific topics of interest to the organization. Here is a quick review of major corporate E-learning Platforms:
Instructor-Led Training (ILT)
This is an online training tool that allows for delivery of information through a normal classroom setting or a webinar online. The lecturer who is the knowledgeable other in the subject matter facilitates the training. Both the lecturer and participants agree on where and when the sessions are to take place.
- Favors social learning- Promotes interaction among the trainees as well as between trainees and the lecturer.
- Allows for customized contents- The lecturer is able to assess the needs of the target audience and adjust the contents to suit them.
- Favors clarity of information- Participants can ask questions and get answers hence gaining a deep understanding on the subject.
- Costly-Hosting the training can be expensive due to bills for hiring a lecture hall, facilitator and conferencing equipments.
- Space limitations- The sessions can only take place in a specific physical location with limited capacity.
- Missed points- Some highlights may be missed by participants where the sessions are not recorded.
Learning Management Systems (LMS)
LMS is an online corporate training platform that wholly relies on internet technology. This e-learning tool is cloud based hence users don’t have to install the course design and management software in their system. LMS tool involves two major servers:
- Service provider server- This server basically creates courses, manages and distributes contents to users.
- User server- This is the user interface contained in the organization’s browser that receives the learning materials from the provider.
- Data security-LMS is normally hosted in encrypted platforms that are secure.
- Easy to access- Trainees can access the contents at anytime from anywhere.
- Prompt content delivery- After signing up with the provider, the learners do access to learning materials is granted without delays.
- Low start up costs-No explicit costs on software or technicians to manage the contents.
- Relies on internet- It may be impossible to access contents when the internet connection is down.
- Dealer failures- Agreement to provide specific learning materials is done remotely as compared to one on one meeting between the user and dealer. In some instances, dealers may fail to deliver part of the deal.
Blended Learning Platform
This is a corporate learning tool that provides a combination of gamification, MOOC and ILT. This allows for customized training methodology that matches with unique trainees’ needs. In this case, learning takes place in standard classroom setting and via independent online study.
- Customized learning process to suit individual needs of trainees.
- Combines social and individual learning process for enhanced understanding of contents.
- Easy to access as the system allows for physical attendance and availability of contents online.
- Expensive due to extra costs for hosting sessions and equipping learners with IT knowledge.
- Complex to manage as contents delivered by the lecturer in a classroom setting must be identical to the ones available online.
The concept behind this business training software is to capture the full attention of the trainee to go through a given course.
- Motivates learners- The employees are motivated to finish the sessions through gaming activities with rewards.
- Imparts skills- The learning involves gaming activities with skills to be learnt in the process by the participants.
- Learning through mistakes- The process gives room for participants to make mistakes, learn and correct them.
- Extrinsic motivation- Learning process involves rewards that can easily interfere with intrinsic motivation that yields high performance.
- Limited content coverage- Fun-filled games may not be applicable to all aspects of subject matter.
Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)
MOOCs offer a reliable corporate training platform that entails making contents with specific information available online.
- Promotes peer learning process.
- Allows for learning activities such as outdoor, laboratory and discussion forums activities.
- Gives access to a wide range of learning materials.
- Offers certifications to trainees.
- Highly accessible.
- Requires a lot of commitment from learners.
- Mastery of technical skills to prepare, manage and use contents.
- Lack of flexibility in control of contents.